View Single Post
Old 02-23-21, 02:11 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I bought a set of Speedplay Ultra Light Action almost a year ago and plan to install them this spring.

But at the end of last year there was an article on CyclingTips which suggests that there are some supply or fulfillment issues.

What’s going on at Speedplay? - CyclingTips

So hopefully there will still be replacement parts and cleats.
"It seems that in the meantime, the only news to report from Speedplay is that there is still no news." Bloggers gotta blog about something, quick look at a few popular websites shows good stock of Zero stuff.

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Did three rides with the Speedplay Zero Aeros, and then switched back to Shimano. I was ok with having to grease the pedals, but then when the cleats started squeaking and I read that you're supposed to lube the cleats every 1-2 rides, that's just too much maintenance. Plus they were very difficult to clip in and out. People say they "break in" eventually, but I'm 185lb and strong, I should not have any difficulty clipping in/out. I could see their worth on a race only bike, but not for someone who rides as much as I do.
Agree with what WhyFi said- over tightening the cleats will bind the spring and make it extremely tough to clip in, and even worse trying to get out. Speedplay wants the pedals lubed that frequently so that the edge of the cleat/spring is lubed which, from my experience, makes absolutely no difference to the function or durability of the pedals or cleats. Making sure the spring can rotate freely within the cleat is the important thing, which doesn't require much maintenance under "normal" circumstances.