Old 07-30-21, 03:12 AM
ign1te

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by numlok
Sorry for the delayed response, I was hamstrung by the restrictions of only 5 posts per 24 hours for new users.

I believe I've found the issue, but if anyone has further interest, I've also added an album of photos to my profile (can't add in thread per those new user restrictions), as well as a YouTube video illustrating the problem: youtu.be/V1qlRswqDrw (can't add urls due to that same "newb" restriction, so you'll need to copy/paste to view).

What I think is going on, is that while my previous BB had a 1mm shorter spindle (107mm vs the new 108mm), and worked great for years, it did not have a dust cap, and thus allowed the crank to go a bit further down the spindle, just slightly beyond the face of the BB cup.

Removing the dust cap on the new BB allows it to work the same way, spinning perfectly fine while fully torqued down, and not making any actual contact with the BB cup.

I think my tolerances were just too close initially, and that I should have taken into consideration that slight push into the hole of the cup, along with the slight added thickness of the dust cover.

I'd rather not ride without that cover, especially as I do ride in wet weather, so I think I'll need to look into getting a BB with a slightly longer spindle. Bummer!

I do appreciate all the time, thought, and suggestions y'all have offered though. Thanks!
Alluminium cranks get hollowed out over time. A new crank might have a snugger fit which in turn would give you the clearance you need.