View Single Post
Old 08-23-22, 08:47 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,691 Posts
Originally Posted by bowser29
probably starting at Ernie Howlett Park (for parking) and trying to do at least 3000ft of climbing with 35-40 miles. thanks!

okay, here's pee vee ii-the quickie version and pee vee i-the more scenic version. pee vee ii does include the de rigueur pee vee climb (up and down) of
via del monte whereas pee vee i only includes most of the descent. pee vee i includes the essential descent of the rpv switchbacks whereas pee vee ii doesn't.
both rides are "off" by 2.5 miles or so and approx 5000 feet el gain because of the area around point fermin/korean friendship bell. so ride 1 is closer to 42 miles and ride 2
is closer to 35 miles. a couple of notes:

1. because of a long-term road closure on paseo del mar in san pedro, strava is not routing road rides properly. when you descend western ave heading towards the ocean,
you bear left and soon come to a road closure. the workaround is to hang a left into the white point nature preserve and then make a right and follow the dirt path (smooth, firm, flat and
approx .25 miles long) along the fence. i've done it on '23's 6-7 x's so it's not an issue for roadies. the dirt path is wide enough to accommodate a passing cyclist or ped but slowly and then deposits you back onto paseo del mar
enroute to point fermin lighthouse/park and the korean friendship bell/fort macarthur area approx .35 miles north on gaffey st. strava is routing it properly on runs/walks/hikes tho so i have included the applicable segment for logistical purposes.

https://www.strava.com/segments/26379707

because on pee vee i, i overcompensated for strava's non-mapping and on pee vee ii under compensated, both rides off +/- 2.5 miles.

2. i have both rides starting from/finishing at rancho vista elementary off of moccasin lane which is just up hawthorne blvd past ernie howlett park and to the left/east.
plenty of parking and a little more tranquilo but no bathrooms so do ernie howlett if you prefer. add an extra .5 mile to the ride if that's how you go.

3. if you decide on pee vee ii (or decide to modify pee vee i), descending palos verdes drive east will require you taking the lane from approx .5 miles north of the miraleste library
(where the road obviously starts to descend) all the way to just before the reservoir area/palos verdes drive north. just coasting will have you in the 20-28 mph neighborhood but there
are precious few places for turnouts nor is there a bike lane so you may hafta blaze that downhill.

4. all the other previous/earlier notes from me in this thread apply. pee vee is one of the few places in socal where the tourists don't crowd the roads on the weekends. over in pedro tho by the bell and the lighthouse,
they do.

pee vee ii/35 miles-3.2k el gain

https://www.strava.com/routes/2997341792917129070

pee vee i/42 miles-4k+ el gain

https://www.strava.com/routes/2997338502669794464

there is plenty of other stuff in the mushpot of the peninsula but it's generally not as nice/scenic. still worth doing as a climbfest but that's another post.
there are four cities on the palos verdes peninsula: palos verdes estates (pve), rancho palos verdes (rpv), rolling hills (rh) and rolling hills estates (rhe).
the first two are where all the action is-esp palos verdes estates. rolling hills is all private/gated but surprisingly boring so you're not missing anything and
rolling hills estates is just...there except for the sunnyridge and eastvale climbs which are decently challenging and semi-shaded but not essential by any means.

as mentioned in an earlier post, you could not cross hawthorne blvd (except to start/finish at ernie howlett or rancho vista) and just stay in palos verdes estates
wandering up and down, out and about on the bike and do a scenic 35 miles just there alone. depending on your intuitive nature as a cyclist, maybe that works better.
hard to get lost using the various palos verdes drives, hawthorne blvd (which neatly bisects the peninsula) and the pacific ocean. use one of the maps or paint your own picture following
your eyes, legs and intuition. either way, you'll have a blast.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-24-22 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For diphthong: