Old 04-24-21, 03:03 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Why won't you use a bell on a shared path?

Yes, bells are pretty much useless on the road when you're mixing it with cars and other noisy traffic. But why won't you use your bell (it's a legal requirement in NSW) when you're on a quiet path that you are sharing with pedestrians and slower cyclists. Is it because
  1. you assume everyone else is deaf because of earphones?
  2. you don't have a bell because of the weight/aero penalty?
  3. you prefer to shout or whistle to warn people of your presence, and constantly making noises never gets old for you?
  4. there's no law that says you have to?
  5. you just don't like people, and scaring them or inconveniencing them shows them your disdain for them?
  6. you just couldn't be arsed?
My opinion: I decided very early in my cycling renaissance that - when on a shared path - I would use a bell almost every time I was about to pass another person. That meant that, yes, at times on my journey I might be ringing every 20 seconds. Big deal. The upside is that I can alleviate some of the guesswork when predicting what the person in front of me might be about to do.

And, if the person/people actually make the effort to move over or reign in their dog/offspring, I say "thanks" as I pass. What an old Fred am I?
Likes For fredlord: