View Single Post
Old 06-26-21, 08:05 AM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The stein tool is great and well worth owning. The problem is the spanner. I've had good luck with a 15 inch crescent which will set you back considerably less than a $100 (post 32). The back up is the Sheldon Brown tool described above (post 5).
The Milwaukee wrench I bought set me back about $25. A larger size would allow easier torquing to higher values. As I said, this wrench performed acceptably. I’ve been servicing this bike for 44 years, it was a switch from Campy to TA crankset that drove the need for new tools.

Two things I like about this spanner over a fixed wrench. First, the fit is a snug line fit with the adjustable wrench to the cup whereas a fixed wrench fit will only be as good as the precision of the wrench and cup flats fabrication and condition. Second, the handle allows applying a good load easier than most fixed wrenches cut from sheet stock.

No question there are better tools than the adjustable I used. My brother has an old VAR or similar tool that I’ve borrowed for other bikes. For this instance I found that the adjustable worked well.
Likes For 73StellaSX76: