Old 07-21-21, 12:08 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
For various reasons, I am considering strapping my kids bikes directly to the roof cross rails of my subaru, laying them sideways (I already have a Saris 2 bike hitch rack that will have the adult bikes and the roof mounts are either uber expensive, don't work with kids bikes, or chinsy). Has anyone had success doing this? My son has a 24 inch MTB and my daughter a basic 20 inch kids single speed.

Other details. Will be travelling on interstate at highway speeds for 300 miles. I also own a roof cargo carrier that I might to use--they would be hanging off the back, but I would have more mounting points.

Please, do not tell me to buy a new hitch rack or spend $600 of 2 thule roof mounts for what is going to be a once a year trip
At one point I flipped a kids bike upside down and tied the handlebars to the crossbar (Outback). Can't remember how for I travelled, but it was perfectly secure. They're kids bikes - just cinch them down to whatever will hold them - they're not going to be blown off. Frankly, I'd be more concerned by what the bike might damage - roof paintwork, other contents of the cargo carrier, the carrier itself etc. Cinch them down tight and ensure that they don't move about - they'll be fine