Old 07-29-21, 07:11 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
7 watt hours per mile would be consistent with me on my wife's 38 lb 750 watt e bike at 15 mph but not my 82 lb touring fat e bike at 20mph whenever the conditions permit.
At full touring weight and max power I am at just less than 4 watts per KG. Your 350 watts would put me down around 1.8 watts per KG and I could not go much off the pavement or climb steep grades. I would be too slow to balance.
While I can see your conundrum, My POINT is, and always has been, Keeping a bicycle a bicycle... Even tho, I ride an "Assisted" bicycle... at what point does "assist" become" a motorized bicycle, well that IS, already established with the E-Bike laws. Which I strongly dis-agree with here in N America... Your numbers of 20 + watts per mile are almost the same as my numbers for using my E-Assist bike as a moped on the highest setting while I ride, witch, the cut off is 32Km/Hr. that is 20MPH.. It works out to 14watts per Km, or 22.4 watts per mile... Well... whenever I ride like that I am always thinking I am riding a moped, compared to what I can do with my own power only... Oh, my bike and me together are 280Lbs...

My assist is just simply NOT enough to go up any hill without my pedaling, 350 watts hub motor just won't let me go anywhere without pedaling but flat ground. and, THAT is what an E-Assist bike should be.. IMO Assisting, NOT doing the whole job...