Old 02-01-23, 12:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Well this fell into the "I've never had one or seen one" category so I had to pick it up. German made Staiger Trento 70 year anniversary edition. Heavy tank and not the highest quality, but it had some cool features. Huret Svelto RD, half step double crank and a Daimon front light that works really well. Anyone know a good way to find a date for this one?

Nice looking '70's bike for sure. The foil labels are the easy give away. If anyone wants to make a bike look like the '70's use foil labels. The other subtle way is the arch or bend in the fork and of course the cottered crank. Although I will admit that you will see them on 80's and even 90's low end bikes.

The caliper arm usually have date codes on the back sides. Check other components as well. Wienmann had simple date codes with the year in the center of the clock face and the month on the dial.

I am not loving the two color spiral wrap or the seat clamp on the forward side of the seat, but other than that, it looks like a great old vintage bike. Is the brake bridge welded to the seat stay? Is that the discoloration that we are seeing, or is something else going on there?