Old 02-11-22, 08:54 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
This is really a digression from the actual topic. This is not an original thought, but it's always interesting when we - and more so non-cyclists - think of the cost of a high-ish end bike. Let's say $5,000. That's not top of the line by any means, but it's a of money for any cyclist, and a really good bike can be had for much less. It's an unimaginable amount to a non-cyclist.

OK the stage is set. A lot of money. But compare it to just one thing that many lower-middle class working Americans have. Examples are high end TVs, motorcycles, ATVs, BOATS!, etc. Show me a even a basic ATV or fishing rig that can be had for $5k. Yea, they exist, especially used. But that "normal" American would think that's perfectly normal, not a ridiculous expense for something they use a couple of dozen times per year. But the same income-level cyclist, who uses the bike several times per week is spending ridiculous money. That's the way many if not most people I know would think of it. Even some avid cyclists Not me of course.

Circling back - chances are that $5K will get you a CF or even titanium bike (My Lynskey GR300 with Force AXS ETap and nice Boyd aluminum wheels, for example). OK, it would also get you a pretty nice steel bike too. But in terms of liveliness, light weight, etc, a CF bike in that price range, to an enthusiast would be totally worth it
I get the point you're making and it makes sense. Some folks can, but just refuse to see the forest through the trees.
Likes For Outrider1: