View Single Post
Old 04-28-21, 06:31 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
In Australia, I have rarely had problems with dogs while cycling.

But you want to move to S E Asia. I normally get chased by dogs multiple times a day, and dogs often bite people. Dogs also have rabies and other infections. The amount of people bitten by dogs, seems to vary a lot from place to place. I was told in one town, approximately two thirds of children had been bitten by dogs, and half or those more than once. In many situations, they don't do anything about it, so dogs are free to bite more people.

It is common to see dog fights, where groups of dogs start fighting each other in the street.

Dogs are a serious problem in this society. It does vary a lot from place to place.

Dogs are also racist. I am much bigger than the locals, and stand out as different, which makes me a target of dogs.

The first line of defense for me is to lift my leg, then kick towards the dog. Occasionally I get dogs on the end of the nose with the sole of my foot. This shocks them, and stops them. But you don't want dogs getting so close you can kick them.

I have a piece of bamboo on my bike, like a flag pole, which I can lift out and swing at dogs. This deters them.

Dogs also harass locals. For example, someone may be sitting in front of their house when several dogs walk in, and sometimes start fighting. The locals throw rocks, sticks or other things at them. So while riding, I often lift my arm as if I am going to throw things at them. In a few places, I pick up rocks before going there, to throw at them. Throwing things at them seems to work better, as they keep a much greater distance. They don't get close enough to bite.
Likes For alo: