View Single Post
Old 05-03-21, 07:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
"Luxury" upgrades

What are some components, gear, accessories, and so forth that might not make one faster on a bike, but still feels nice to have, forget the justification (i.e., treat yo'self)?
Common ones that I've seen bandied around are deep section wheels, low Crr race-quality tires, gold chain, anything with that oil slick anodized finish. Of course quality bibs and jerseys, but people have different fit and likes so no need to chime in brand names like Assos and the typical like (I'm probably in the minority of those underwhelmed by the Assos items I have).

I know someone will say oversized pulley wheels, but disregarding the price, do most people actually want them on their bikes?

Things I personally enjoy having as part of my cycling experience -- undeniably luxury upgrades over perfectly acceptable cheaper options but I appreciate having regardless -- are dual-BOA shoes, less flappy aero jerseys with longer sleeves that still have usable pockets, Oakleys, GP5k tires, a waterproof Rapha essentials case, and a K-Edge combo mount. And with all the rainy days we have in the PNW, all the expensive new rain gear is totally worth it to me.
Likes For surak: