View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 12:30 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Cotton bar wrap would be just right and period correct for your Legnano. Looks great but the wrap I used was not Gaslo, Cat Eye probably but certainly satisfies my restorative needs. This tape or and other brands are readily available on Ebay for reasonable prices...

I will offer one warning, the cloth tape is hard to wrap. Particularly around the brake lever mounts. With this in mind, I learned to position my levers exactly where I want them then use PVC tape to hold them in place. It is also necessary to use silicone seal to secure the mounting nuts in place. I wedge a piece of foam in place to keep the nut in place while the silicone sets up. Once set-up, wrap away, starting from the handlebar end for Galso or from the middle for Velox caps...

This procedure would be just right for your Legnano and this set-up even has the Gaslo endcaps. The caps do not fit inside the handlebar, they fit on the outside. A wrap of cloth tape under the tabs helps hold them in place for the wrap job. Looks great but the wrap was not Gaslo, Cat Eye probably but certainly satisfies my restorative needs. Look for cloth tape on Ebay and choose what you want...

The Velox end caps are period correct and will not fall out...

Once done, mount your brake lever bodies (hoods are readily available on Ebay - even the cable adjuster hoodies). All in all, the end result looks pretty darn good. And one final tip, though it bugs me to share it - right now there is a set of NOS Gaslo Legnano embossed end caps for sale on Ebay. I cannot afford them so feel free to pay the price to snap them up, if you want,,,