Old 07-29-21, 07:13 AM
escuta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Changing bars and gear shifters on road bike

Hi,

I'm new to road bikes and have recently purchased a used Principia Rex, built, I believe, in around 2004. The bike has yet to be shipped to me. It comes with triathlon handlebars which I wish to remove. The gear shifters are located at the ends of the aero bars. The seller led me to believe that these can be detached from what look like pursuit bars underneath. So, a simple and cheap solution will be for me to move the shifters to the ends of the pursuit bars, if that's possible.

I'm not sure though that pursuit bars will suit me and I think that drop bars or compact drop bars might be better (I'm riding mainly for leisure and exercise but perhaps later to commute to work). If I change to drop bars, from what I've seen, I should change the break handles to a type with integrated gear shifters. My question is, what types break handles/shifters will suit the gears? The gears are Shimano Ultegra. Ideally I'd like to purchase everything second-hand because prices here in Brazil are very very high.

If you have any advice, please let me know!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to post photos of the bike until have have made 10 posts here.

Cheers