View Single Post
Old 08-03-21, 09:19 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
US wheel builders do not know how to build wheels for Rohloff and they are reluctant to contact European shops to learn. Especially for 26" rim and less so for 700, the large Rohloff flange is best with angled spoke drillings in the rim. From Ryde specifications (see their brochure), Andra rims are drilled 8 deg radially and 2 deg axially. If you use a spoke length calculator that gives angles as well as lengths (e.g. freespoke), the Andra drillings match with Rohloff well. The spoke line at the nipple end is straight. This and Polyax nipples are ideal. I learned this the hard way, 3 bad rear wheels, I gave up on US bike shops and built the wheels myself. After 5000 miles of heavily loaded touring, the wheels stay true and at tension. The flange support rings are a good thing.
The rims that came on my touring bicycle had the holes almost perfectly aligned down the center of the rim. The j bend on the spoke was a poor match for the flange. I replaced them with the Psycho rims that are a wide box style rim and there is a noticeable right and left space between the drillings. I used the Sapim spokes with Polyax nipples. I did this 7 years ago and the wheels are in the same condition as when I rebuilt them. I have had to rebuild or build new wheels for every bicycle I have ever purchased.
Likes For Rick: