View Single Post
Old 08-03-21, 10:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The rims that came on my touring bicycle had the holes almost perfectly aligned down the center of the rim. The j bend on the spoke was a poor match for the flange. I replaced them with the Psycho rims that are a wide box style rim and there is a noticeable right and left space between the drillings. I used the Sapim spokes with Polyax nipples. I did this 7 years ago and the wheels are in the same condition as when I rebuilt them. I have had to rebuild or build new wheels for every bicycle I have ever purchased.
I have only bought two complete new bikes in my life, the wheels were fine. But having worked as a bike mechanic and having some strong opinions on what I wanted, I chose to build up most of my bikes.

I used Wheelsmith spokes, I usually have used those on my other wheels. But as I noted above, I used the Sapim nipples because they are more forgiving if the angle is off.

If you consider adding the support rings, I did one side at a time, loosened and removed half the nipples so that I could drop the rings onto the hub but I did not even remove the spokes from the hub. And after seating the ring on the hub, retentioned the spokes on that side before I did the second side.

Did not take long at all. I set the hub on an empty bucket to provide a stable horizontal support for the wheel.

First photo, I am holding the spokes up so that I can drop the ring onto the hub.

Second photo, the ring is on the hub but I have not yet laced the spokes. Thus, the spokes are not at correct angles or cross pattern yet.

I had a few drops of oil drip out of the hub when the hub was horizontal, so if you do this, be prepared for a few drops of oil to drop onto whatever is under the hub.

Rohloff does not recommend adding the rings to all hubs, they only specifically recommend adding them when you rebuild the wheel. But some of my trips have had me quite far from help with a heavily loaded bike, so I chose to add the rings when I learned they existed. If I did not use this bike for heavy touring in remote areas, I probably would not have added the rings.