View Single Post
Old 08-03-21, 02:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefsilverback
I have a full drivetrain including brifters, tires, bar and stem, and saddle, so I need frame, fork, headset, seat post and wheels. I know I want to invest in a good set of wheels (~$500), which I'm not going to get on a ~$1500 built bike. All I would end up with is a lot of parts that I'm never going to use in my spares box and spending more than I need to.
I dunno what you have exactly, but it sounded like a Quick 4 with V brakes, so a 9 speed Altus/Deore mix? I’m pretty comfy saying you’re not going backwards on the Quick’s component spec with a new bike, and would probably do better…newer, at least, but probably 10 spd, too, though I realize 1x9 is your jam.

I guess you could use your existing brifters if you’re fine with cable actuated discs, but you still need brake calipers. Something road lever pull compatible like Avid BB7 Road are probably $70/ea, plus $30 rotors, so call it $100/wheel. Maybe JuinTech has something less pricey, and TRP HyRd would be somewhat more.

Anyway, speaking as someone who’s built several frame up bikes between my first in ‘92 and most recent 5 months ago, it’s not at all obvious to me that going piecemeal with what you’ve got is gong to land you anything better or less expensive than buying complete, but maybe you can make it work.