View Single Post
Old 06-30-22, 01:19 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Interestingly I tried electronic shifting today for the first time. My wife and I both bought new (to us) bikes this year. Mine is a 2016 GURU Photon with 11sp Dura Ace mechanical. Hers is a 2020 Canyon Ultimate SLX with Di-2. Last Saturday she had a crash in a hairpin turn and fractured her wrist. She complained of not having enough braking and asked me to check out the bike. This is a rim brake bike with CF wheels. So, I took it out for a short 11 mi run that included a serious downhill. The brakes are fine.....actually quite good. I won't go into the anatomy of the accident. But, this was my first time with electronic shifting. Oh, it is set up in the semi-synchro mode. I felt like the Di-2 shifted a bit quicker and a bit more efficiently. It was certainly not a game changer but it did seem more efficient for lack of a better term. When I shifted from one ring to the other the rear derailleur also shifted. Generally I did not like that. It tended to shift into a cog that wasn't where I wanted to be. If it was my bike it would be in mechanical mode. Now for a problem......The ergonomics of the "buttons" kind of sucked. I didn't feel like it was intuitive and there was a lack of distinction in the feel of the actuator "buttons." So, I liked it but didn't like it. As for the bike itself....I loved it. Stable and responsive.....quick and comfortable. If I didn't already love my GURU I'd be looking for a Canyon Ultimate SLX. FWIW, neither bike has disc brakes.