View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 09:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I don't think our preferences need to be validated by data (or anything else, really). For example, even though I know that multi-gear drivetrains have lots of advantages, I still prefer to ride a singlespeed. I'm sure that's not "the most correct conclusion" based on "objective, fact based information," but whether or not I'm "wrong" about it never even crosses my mind. My preferences are my own, and I don't need to measure, compare, or justify them.
Because the scientific method is thus far the most effective way to eliminate opinion bias in the search for truth. I was responding to you on a general level. I have been wrong before , shocking, I know Think of this as an attempt at a sort of meta-analysis. An information seeking exercise. What critical observation or piece of information did I, a fallible, opinionated human with limited senses & life experience miss in my observation of the electronic shifting system experiment?

For that matter, what do I have to learn from The Single-Speed Experiment? Only time will tell. I have the wheelset. I just gotta buy my old bike back from a guy...(There is more to this story IRL)

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That may be your takeaway, but I think that sentiment was expressed by only one person.
And yet it is consistent with the other electronic shift responders. I quoted that particular response because it was succinct & offered insight that clarified perspective. It made the most sense to me.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Why does there have to be an absolute "better"? If electronic shifting makes you feel disconnected, or you are concerned about it's reliability, don't get it. I don't see manual shifting going away anytime soon, though electronic at some point will likely become cheaper to produce and therefore more prevalent. By now, everyone has heard the plusses and minuses of both and can make up their own mind.

People making up reasons why their opinion is the right one, or saying that people that buy whatever technology are being seduced by evil marketing people is quite tiresome.
I never once cited "evil marketing" or other such hogwash. Objectively better means superior within given design constraints & objectives. Often times it means the simplest, least complicated mechanism that uses the least energy to accomplish it's designed task...That may indeed be electronic shifting provided Shimano's, SRAM's design objectives whatever those may be.

Off the top of my head spit-balling: For all I know, a tiny wafer of circuit board & a chunk of plastic housing may be cheaper to make than a cable. So from a manufacturing perspective it's a definitive no-brainer. E-shifting could very possibly weigh less than some types of cable systems. So, cool for weight-weenies. E-shifting may provide bigger profit margins. So, good for business/shareholders. Maybe E-shifting is good for keeping/capturing early adopters. So, good for having innovation as part of brand image/value ...Maybe "Touch, resistance change." Is Shimano's/SRAM's idea of supreme luxury...I don't know. What I do know is that in my experience I felt that there was no "there," there & I took to the internet to fill in the hole of my ignorance.

Originally Posted by bruce19
I think it's about self validation. I guess some don't feel validated from life in general.
While that may be true, for some. I prefer not to jump to conclusions based on conjecture & incomplete information.

Car dependency is a tax.