Old 07-20-21, 08:46 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I went first class for the free bags. The cancellation is a bonus. The 6500 sky miles I used were worth about $85. The bag fee I would have had to pay is $80 ($35 first bag, $45 second bag). Maybe I could get by with just the bike box, but really want the bike box to be as light as possible.

Delta does not currently offer changing the flight on their low priced tickets, but sure, everything is negotiable - they may be able to make a change if persuaded.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I wasn't aware of the bump in the weight limit for first class.

When I have priced tickets from one coast to the other an upgrade to first class has typically been 300-400 more than the very cheapest ticket with no cancellation, no boarding priority, lousy seats, and so on.

BTW... Usually the no cancellation isn't as bad as it sounds for two reasons IME. First the ticket is cheap enough that you aren't out so much if you do get burned and second, depending on the airline they may let you take a credit for another flight. You probably will have to use it within a year, at least that is what I found when I cancelled a no cancel ticket (I forget which airline). Some airlines may not do that so check before assuming that is the case. Also if you do cancel ask for a credit even if it is not the policy, it never hurts to ask. Ask nicely. Tell them a sad story. Heck call more than once and ask again. Ask in person at the counter too if the opportunity presents sometimes they don't know or are willing to break the rules.