Old 02-26-22, 11:43 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Smallest cog on freewheel #1 has wear on the small cog that may be problematic = chain skipping

Freewheel #2 shows wear across across all cogs ( except the smallest cog )

Buyer will have to ride them to prove them ....if they experience 'chain skip' = oh well ....try again ....or, pair it with an appropriately worn chain
I appreciate your interest and expertise. You have much more experience than I. I will admit that, except in extreme cases, I cannot visually (live or via photos) tell the amount of wear on cog teeth. So I use a Rohloff Chain Checker to check cog wear. I have considerable experience with it. I’ve measured each cog on each FW and the checker does not indicate any widening of any gullets/narrowing of any teeth. These two may be just fine as well as being suitable for particular restorations.

It’s also been my observation that the smallest cog and the largest cog are rarely much worn. It’s the middle cogs, where people spend most of their time, that show wear first and terminate a FW. But you are correct: these are used FWs and there is always risk with used components.