View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 01:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
With the advent of super wide range 1X systems (I'm talking LOW gears, pie plate cassettes and capable rear derailleurs), one of the advantages of electronic shifting to the new rider is going away. I've long felt that a lot of (most?) new riders don't know how to, or care to know how to properly and effectively use the front crankset. I've thought and commented years ago that "wouldn't it be nice that some sort of automatic shifting of the entire system was possible, so the rider didn't have to understand when to shift from one front chainwheel to the otther". I'm serious, I know many riders who really don't "get" when or how to do front shifting. Electronic shifting can be put in automatic (aka "sequential") mode or even sold as that as the default. Poof, the mysteries of front shifting are gone. But like I said, with 1x systems getting very close to providing the low gears of common 2X or even 3x systems, that is less of an advantage. When my kids were young, I obtained and passed from first kid to second, a simple 1X8 kid sized MTB. It didn't really have low enough gearing for the hills around our house, but for bike path, family rides, it was perfect for a beginning rider learning how to shift.
Likes For Camilo: