Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Here's the story and the components that people are asking about:
I got the frameset new and added all the parts (everything new, except for crankset and some unrelated parts). Everything went well for me (even the wheel-build), with the exception of the rear shifting. LBS took a look at it and recommended a new R derailleur. I had them choose one based on my intent and had them tune it. They did a good job and I enjoyed riding the bicycle for a few days.

After that, I had to get a repair done to one of the threaded braze-ons, which required that I remove the RD and almost everything else. That repair was successful and now I'd like to finish this bicycle myself. I've never had full success in setting up RD shifting. My other bicycle which I've tried this has a stubborn cog which I just skip over when riding. Maybe I can fix that one after gaining new experience with this one.

Rear derailleur is Microshift RD-R43M. Brand new.
Shift lever is Microshift BS-T09. Brand new.
Cassette, 9spd, is a take-off from a new bicycle. I test rode that bicycle but upgraded it immediately to a different number of speeds.
Chain, 9spd, is new, the correct number of links and working smoothly.
Cables and housing are brand new, Jagwire.

I will now try to see if the built-in (CrMo frame) D hanger got bent.
Was the cassette transplanted 100% intact, with all the spacers and washers in the correct order?

Did you cut the cable housing to the correct length? Does the cable run freely through all the cut ends? Are the ends of the housing covered by the correct ferrules? Is the housing seated completely in the ferrules?

Divining problems with index shifting can be devilish, and the devil's in the details.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills: