cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It is astoundingly provincial to be "a curmudgeon about unusual bolt head sizes or thread pitches" back-when or now in the C&V environment.
Was Whitworth unusual to a British bike mechanic in the '50's, Metric to a French one in the '70's or American in a Schwinn shop in the '60's?
All were SOP in their manufacturing environment and any mechanic worth the name knew what was what and had the tool set to work on an old Humber, Gitane or Varsity that came in the shop.
Did you read the rest of my sentence that you cut out in your quote? I purposefully clarified that I don't feel the same way as Bad Lag about this. It is only when odd standards frequently go hand-in-hand with bad quality that I get frustrated.

I think the five non-road Raleighs sitting in my fleet tend to drive home that point

Originally Posted by Bandera
PS: Regarding "Rednecks" in the C&V space.
Is there any other sub-culture in our society that you would care to disparage from the intellectual and cultural bastion of Southern Florida?
Now you know why I cited what I cited. Tons of old Schwinns and old Raleighs are down here; guess which ones get unwarranted attention and put on a plinth like a Confente, and which ones get tossed unworthingly on the scrapheap?

Fact is, one of these brands frequently gets the short end of the stick due to a nostalgia cake with a fair amount of ignorance for frosting.

I don't doubt this is a stereotype of a single region, but the pattern seems to show up whenever I make the mistake of wandering into a bunch of balloon tire enthusiasts online.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-17-19 at 06:23 PM.