View Single Post
Old 08-25-20, 06:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Nice pics of the Adirondacks......never been to that section. I've hiked the High Peaks and hunted the Moose River Plains. And my brother and I backpacked the middle 50 or so miles of the Northville-Lake Placid Trail 30+ years back.
The area west of Tupper Lake was recently (10 year or so) opened up thru the state buying recreation easements - I.E paying the landowner to allow public access while they continue reduced logging in area's. Thus the logging roads are accessible The area south of Newcomb was part of a huge sale by lumber company Finch-Pruyn to the state, who re-classified it into assorted sections, some as added to the Hudson River Wilderness, some as Wild Forest. There's 2 road access points, 20 miles or more of bike roads, primitive camping at various places, etc... It's a big and remote area that few people are visiting, it seems. There's a lot of empty in the Adirondacks. I too as BTW, hiked the NP trail, over 2 years in about '75-'76.