Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I had to stop and deal with 2 that wouldnt seal on their own. One was bad enough that I removed the tire and used an inner tubeless patch to cover the hole since it wouldnt seal after a day. I pumped up the tire every 10min or so for about 15mi.
Honestly, that was annoying in the moment, but it was a freak incident that would have destroyed a tube too so its not a big deal.
Setting up tubeless tires on my wheelset has been the more frustrating part of tubeless. My first pair, WTB Resolute tires, set up easily on my first try. When remounting them it was brutal and they wouldnt sit right no matter what tricks and efforts I tried. My next pair, Panaracer SS tires, were horrible to set up I eventually took them to a shop after a few hours of trying over a few days time, and even a quality shop struggled. My current pair is the same- Panaracer SS tires, and they were tough to set up but I eventually got them to seat with 3 strips of tape.

Maybe my skills in tubeless setup are lacking or maybe I picked a couple pairs of tires that dont love my rims?...though I think you have my rims- Hydra. So I guess that pushes blame back to my lack of skills.

Accounts like yours are enough to steer me away from tubeless.