View Single Post
Old 05-10-22, 11:49 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
The gf and I each have have gravel bikes. She has two wheel sets ( carbon road, factory alloy gravel tire). same size cassette for her wheels.
I have four wheel sets for my gravel bike with different size cassettes and few different length chains to match the cassettes. Just bought a mountain bike that came tubeless. Currently just the factory wheel for that one. Thinking about getting a carbon wheels for the mountain bike.

The gf has two other bikes. those I would be fine with just tubes.

I guess not practical to rotate through many tubeless wheel sets.
Well it also depends on which sealant you use. The Panaracer Seal Smart isn't the best performing in terms of sealing leaks, but good enough for my needs. What it does well is the residue does nothing to the tire and rim tape, except leave a little sticky goo with the walnut fibers, unlike heavily chemical fortified Stan's race sealant, which can stiffen the casing. So I just slowly rinse out the residue, which is water soluble, and sieve the walnut fibers for the new sealant.
I have 4 sets of wheels for my pinion bike, which functions as flatbar gravel, touring, commute/transport and fitness. I use them regularly enough where the sealant doesn't sit for weeks to dry out in the same spot. There is no real need to clean out the sealant if your tires are changed every 1-1.5 years. Just top up and ride. The biggest pain to tubeless is really initial set up.