Old 07-09-21, 01:01 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Does anybody make extra-long chainring bolts?

If one wanted to mount 3 chainrings to a 110 BCD double crank, are there chainring bolts long enough to do this?

Why would one want to do such an odd thing?

Mostly, because I'm a bike nerd. But also because I want both lower and tighter gearing on a bike that's currently a 42x14-26 6-speed, (as well as being my car,) and I don't want to buy a new crankset and BB. Most of my riding is flat and windy, since I live in Eureka, right on the coast. But there's plenty of hills around here, and I'm slow and weak. And it so happens that a 45/42/33 triple gives me 12 ~7% half-step gears, plus 2 low 13% full-step gears with a simple double shift from the 42x26 to the 33x23, for a total range of 34 - 86 inches.

Yeah, I know I could just do a 45/33 or 46/34 1.5-step double, and get the same range and interleaved gears, but the double-double shift pattern seems like it would be the annoying just when the even gear changes would be the most useful. (Flatland cruising in the middle of the cluster with variable winds, which is what most of my riding is like.)

The only issue is chainring bolts long enough to go through three chainrings. Do such things exist?

--Shannon