Old 10-14-21, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
My first paint removal from a chromed frame was in 1976 with my second Fuji Finest. I seriously question if Motobecane's paint prep was better then Fuji's... While never again on a complete frame I have done some small area removal and repainting over chrome more then a few times.

The first go to is chemical stripper to reduce the mechanical removal's surface scratches that scraping, sanding and blasting will induce. Doing a paint surface scuffing or sanding to etch the surface and break down the glossy top of the paint will really help the chemistry do it's job. If you are lucky the Moto prep didn't the right thing, etch the chrome where the paint was going. Primer/paint doesn't like super smooth surfaces, and the paint will dissolve/rub off. Next up is a very fine wool, brass is good, to further remove the remaining bits. Brass won't scratch the chrome. Avoid scotch bright unless you are already more experienced then you lead us to think.

This will expose the chrome as it was before any primer/paint was applied. When I stripped my Finest I found that the painter over chrome was not anywhere near shinny. At 20 years old and without much patience I stopped there. Now with more understanding and higher standards of what I want my bikes to look like I would continue with a repaint.

My advise is to either go to one of the two extremes. Only do minimal rust removal and localized touch up OR take the dive and repaint the fork in a different but complementary color, like black. Andy