Old 06-17-22, 09:04 AM
goldfilm

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Roubaix SE w/Shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New road bike considering back injury

I’m turning 50 this year and giving myself a gift of a new road bike. I’m recovering from a herniated disc and I’ll use the bike for 10-mile trips for now until I’m better, though I want a decent performance and a bike that will last.

I’m considering the Trek Domane AL 5 (~ $2K) vs. Domane SL 5 (~ $3K). I’m interested in Trek’s IsoSpeed shock absorption technology to minimize impact on my back that I’m currently getting with my 2012 Fuji Roubaix. The AL 5 has an alloy frame and IsoSpeed only in the handlebar, while the SL 5 has a carbon frame and IsoSpeed in both handle & seat.

If I decide to go for the $3K budget, I’m also considering a Pinarello Paris 105. They don’t claim to use any shock absorption technology but they do talk about the way the frame and fork are designed for more confort.

Questions to +50 road bike riders:
- Bigger tires in the newer bikes will help too and I’ll also get a professional fitting service… but would you say features like Giant D-Fuse or Trek IsoSpeed are key for your back or arms pain?
- Would you consider the Pinarello as a better quality bike in general and forget IsoSpeed?
- Any other recommendations when looking for a new bike when it comes to minimizing pain - without going to a heavier slower bike that may be ultra comfortable but not good for speed & workout or longer road trips?