KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Obscurity often has little impact on value. Its all about desirability. Obscurity/rarity plus desirability = great. If you think it is worth a lot, just put it up on eBay at a high buy it now price. The market will tell you if you were right. And if it sells quick, you were low but hey, you got your price!

I typically either set pricing a little below sold history (buyers can search sales history too). If there is no sales history, I go with my gut, and also set a price that I think is a nice return for me. If I paid $20 for an item, sell it for $200, and later learn it was worth $500, I am perfectly OK with it. It has happened to me many times.
This is exactly right. Here's where I'm unsure on this equation...

A De Rosa 35th, or the Signature model, are just SLX De Rosas with different paint, and some panto on the parts. If I didn't know about those models/desirability, I'd value it the same as any other SLX De Rosa. Maybe this is something like that...I don't know. To me, I'm valuing it as a pretty Nivachrome Merckx. I probably gave it a little bump in value based on what the poster said...I'd probably place value a little under an MXL otherwise. It really is especially beautiful IMO.