Old 12-12-20, 11:20 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Perfect time for this thread, as I met a lovely widow and we're soon to marry. She was already building a home next door to her sister in Pensacola, FL where we now plan to spend Winter. I get half of our 2 car garage and opted for a small workshop space for now.. Been gathering tools from my basement and garage work spaces. Currently my 2 garage vises are mounted on either end of a bench I made from a 51" piece cut off the 5" X 15" glu-lam garage door header of my current home. Bench is 33 1/4" tall and placed so either side and both ends are accessible. One end had a 4" Craftsman from an estate sale, other got a 5" Harbor Freight I found on their bargain table back in late 90's. Priced @ $5 due to "Missing Parts" which turned out to be just one of the swivel hold down bolts. I used a Mercedes hollow head bolt to give it some class and painted it red to match the Craftsman. Only negative is the screws of its removable jaws only have about 1 1/2 threads. So they loosen under heavy pounding. 4" Craftsman is Florida bound, so I shopped for a replacement. Best price new was on Amazon, but WOW, $pendy. Then I saw a 5 1/2 Wilton "Used, Like New". Pics certainly looked good, so for half price, I took a chance. Came in the factory box, weighs 42.5 pounds, and indeed appears to be like new. I'm also building a hard Maple/Doug Fir work bench, with Myrtle wood leg vise, all pre-fabbed, ready to assemble when we get to Florida. Don

Left 4" Craftsman Right 5" Harbor Freight

New vice dwarfs the 4" Craftsman

Still need to drill 4 bolt holes. Naturally, none of the 3 Craftsman holes work