View Single Post
Old 01-22-21, 06:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I inexplicably lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch on Friday the 13th of November.... ...
That sounds really scary. I hope you have as close to a full recovery as possible. Sounds like with PT a couple times a week, you have adequate health insurance, I hope the co-pays are not horrendous. If you are on disability, I hope you have good insurance for that too.

I ran into a tree at about 15 mph on my bike about 9 years ago. It was less stupid than that sounds, the tree was there for only a second before I hit it, it blew down in front of me on a very windy day, I was too close to it to have been able to stop or veer off of the trail. Took two surgeries and a couple rounds of PT over three years, I still have some arm problems but am 98 percent recovered. My point is sometimes recovery takes time, but if you are diligent and careful in your recovery, you may get to where it does not change your life style or prevent you from doing what you want.

And before you ask, the bike that I rode into the tree was undamaged. The stem was turned to the side on the steerer tube which was corrected in less than a minute, I was surprised that the handlebar did not dent the top tube. I have done several tours on that bike since, my Thorn Sherpa.