View Single Post
Old 03-09-23, 04:05 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
It could be a Quadra or Mag fork, I'm leaning towards Quadra 10. Looks like the stanchions are in the up position. You can pull up the boots and see if there are obvious signs of corrosion by the lower seals, but most likely the stiction is happening inside the lower legs. It's either corrosion or elastomers gone hard over time. Either way, the fix is to take the fork apart and replace the internals, and chances are you won't be able to source replacements. I would recommend not sinking any time or money into it. It's a threaded fork but if it has a 1 1/8" steerer you can replace it with a different 26" fork with cantilever posts, and maybe take the opportunity to switch to a threadless headset as well.

The knobs at the top are to adjust compression. If it's a Mag, then it'll be an air fork, and one (or both) knobs can be removed to reveal a Schrader valve or needle port (like on a basketball) for inflation/tuning. I don't think those forks had any rebound adjustment.

Edit: looks more like a Quadra than a Mag. Definitely not a Judy due to the lowers. It should be pretty easy to take apart, but there still may not be an easy fix.
looks like a "1 1/8" threaded" to me..

option 1...get a Headset, newer fork that has a long enough steerer tube, an 80mm to 100mm stem with 1 1/8" clamp, and the handlebar clamp size will be 25.4mm, most likely. Easy for bike mechanics, kinda tough for a newbie....... if there's a co-op near the OP, i'd suggest that they go there for parts and help.

There's a chance that someone has over-pressurized the fork.. a chance.... most likely stuck though... a shame.. they were fairly light and worked pretty well.

tothedude.. option 2... try supporting the handlebars so that nothing gets damaged while the bike is upside down.. remove the front wheel.. lay a 2x4 board across the fork bottoms.. and SMACK that sucker with a big hammer... see if it moves.. it's in the extended position, from what i see.
and have you tried Draining any water out of the forks? that also requires inverting the bike....

blunt reality time... i have to toss out a few of that style/age fork every year... sad but true.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-09-23 at 04:25 AM. Reason: being thorough
Likes For maddog34: