View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 09:15 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Focusing on the absolute top end of the sport is kind of disingenuous. That $25k is pretty much only used by the national team members, and not even all of them.

There are a couple of issues when it comes to track equipment: 1. It's not a high-volume area. So it's hard to build scale when you're not producing a lot of frames/wheels/bars... 2. It's super competitive at the international level. Every national team with a budget is trying to out do their competition with equipment. A lot of the items are intentionally priced prohibitively expensive to prevent others from buying them. Also, track equipment development tends to follow the Olympics, so new equipment comes out the year before the Olympics games, but it's not available to the general public until after the Olympics are over.

Still, there are plenty of middle-ground, affordable options in the used market. It just takes time and effort to find them, and they may not be available when you need them.
If you spent more than just a moment and read what I wrote, you would have noticed that I stated that the Felt was aimed at national team riders. The conversation was about having a dedicated pursuit bike. My original post was most track riders use the same frame they use for mass start and just switch out the cockpit.