Old 02-17-16, 11:35 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
I think I have the skipping issue sorted. It's going to take some more riding, but I'm pretty sure right now that the issue was with the front derailleur wasn't in quite the right position. I fiddled with it a bit this morning on my way in to work, and the trip there was skipless, as was my trip home tonight.

I'm not 100% sure, though, because when it was skipping it was on the middle chainring (new), and today I had it on the largest chainring. It's barely conceivable there's something wrong with the middle chainring, but I'm pretty sure I just need to get used to friction shifting again.
Sometimes a new chain on a used cassette will skip a bit at first and then settle down. It's unlikely that the front derailleur could cause skipping. If you are using friction shifting it is possible that the rear derailleur wasn't quite trimmed correctly but it sounds like you have matching 7 speed indexed shifters to a 7 speed cassette? Or am I wrong. Where did you find the 7 speed bar-ends BTW? Another possibility is a worn out rear derailleur. if the pivots and bushing have become sloppy you can get a derailleur the sits on an angle and twists so that when you apply force the chain moves out of alignment with the cogs and causes it to skip. Pedaling lightly usually keeps it at bay.