View Single Post
Old 03-14-16, 08:35 AM
Chili Cheesy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
In 1985, I did a long self contained tour with a friend who rode my sister's 70 something Grand Prix, likewise with everything on the Pletscher. No problems or complaints from him at all. It's a great bike, and should serve you fine. BTW, we did nothing to change it from stock 10 speed with 27 X 1.25 tires, but having said that, I think that your modifications to accommodate more modern and readily available wheelsets and components is a good idea.
That's good news and exactly what I wanna' hear. I'm becoming more and more confident.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was a mechanic in a Raleigh shop in 1973 and have a 72 Gran Prix in the basement. I assume the 1974 is pretty similar.

Before you do ANYTHING, make sure that your bottom bracket plans will work. There is a high probability that it has the Raleigh Nottingham thread pattern, not British thread.

Threading/interchangeability Issues for Older Raleigh Bicycles

Some of the later Nottingham bikes had a square taper bottom bracket that fit in those threads, but if yours was cottered, you might be out of luck. There are shops that can re-thread the bottom bracket, but it generally is not worth the effort on that frame.

If you get the bottom bracket issue worked out and want to continue, let us know.
It was old Nottingham threading with cottered cranks. The BB is already refaced. It's ready for the standard, common BB's of today.

Last edited by Chili Cheesy; 03-14-16 at 08:40 AM.