View Single Post
Old 02-20-21, 12:19 PM
niswanger

Bikes: About 5, maybe 6?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Alright conspiratemus1, I disagree. 1. I am not pastorbobnlnh I am me, myself and I as named on this forum Roy Niswanger. 2. I and "dedhed" are also included in the world population aka "everybody", yet we both didn't know the spacers were plastic. It's too bad someone w/in this forum thread discussion didn't warn of it when I mention I got it mildly warm with a torch (that destroyed one of the spacers) or when dedhed said to add more heat and I thought of doing just that (glad I didn't). But regardless, a simple spacer like the one I destroyed can be replaced fairly cheap (machined AL or 3D printed). I already disassembled the freewheel...oh damn my world is going to end now.

For other's, as a new freewheel medic myself, I have a few questions. I elaborate on these questions in the below video as well:

1. How often are one of the very thin outer bearing locking ring/race shims removed for more ideal mating of the outer lock race to the bearings due to race wear over time? I am replacing all the 1/8" bearings.
2. I have marked each cog and one spline on the freewheel hub so as to reassemble exactly as it came off. In my video I ask if the prior assembly was correct (must be factory because I've never taken it apart). In Sheldon Brown's website on freewheels: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html he mentions the following in assembly of the cogs: "The high side of the teeth of SunTour sprockets faces to the right." What does he mean "The high side..."? Then he goes onto say: "The ramps for chain pickup on newer sprockets also face to the right." So face to the right is from what perspective of the person? I like to reference transportation vehicles/vessels with regards to components as "inboard or outboard" so does he mean the ramped side faces out or to the outboard or vice/versa? Finally, my ramped teeth were facing out or towards the outboard but also on the trailing edge of normal rotation. I'm trying to visualize that and I think it makes sense because the RD cage and chain orientation and contact of the FW is at the 6 o-clock position which means that is now the leading edge of chain to FW contact correct?
3. Finally, what's the suggestion you all have on my chain, will a new one really not work that great? Basically what's a best practice here? In my video I show my chain and tell how I know I can put it back on so it's in the same inboard/outboard orientation as it was.