Old 04-12-21, 04:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbikes
so wouldnt it actually be better to get a large and just get a shorter stem? I dont understand why everything I read says its better to get a smaller bike when you have long legs but short arms.

​​
Because the reach is more sensitive and it needs to fit, first and foremost. As you mentioned, just raise the seat if you need to.

Leaning forward more, yes you can set up a smaller frame more easily for the more aggressive riding positions. You're not forced into that kind of setup. Even if you raise the saddle two or three inches it's trivial to move the bars up, if you really need to and haven't gotten weird with the seat post (I've seen some riders with their saddle way up, legs fully straight and tiptoeing at the bottom of the stroke. I caution to avoid that).

I'm the same size as you, about 33-34 cycling inseam* but with longer wingspan (the more typical 70-71 inches). My 3 bikes are 54, 55, 56.5 set up for various positions and all 3 are comfortable. Smaller than 54 would be cramped (reach) and anything 57 or larger would be way too big.

* I don't even recall it exactly, because other than adjusting the seat post it's really not that important. I do the saddle by by sitting on it and adjusting to the legs, so I don't really even need it for that.