Old 05-17-21, 10:58 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
Gotcha! Thanks much for the info. I appreciate it.

Thanks. My fascination with hubs has grown faster these past few weeks than probably anything else bike related. Don't know why. Will need to dig a bit deeper to find out a bit more about them and what differences can be found between brands.

Oh, okay. Thanks for sharing. Was it more difficult or time consuming than replacing a regular tube without the TLR strip? In other words, did the thickness of that strip somehow make it more difficult to install? Or, outside of removing the valve, did it feel like a "normal" tube replacement? And what tires do you use?
Perfectly normal from a tube installation perspective... Depending on the tire of course, The Conti GP5k's are easily the most annoying tires to get on and off using the wheels I have (Light Bicycle), although I haven't put in a tube with them I don't relish the idea. If memory serves, and it may not, the tires I was using when I had to put a tube in were the first version of the Schwalbe Pro One's TL Easy, they were like a normal tire to install the tube in, no muss. I think the other time it happened to me I was using one of the new Vittoria Corsa Super G's or something like that. The moment I received the tire I knew it wasn't going to last long it was so freaking light and thin (to be fair I knew this from the reviews going in), sure enough it barely lasted 600 miles before rupturing from a flying piece of debris. I installed a tube easily.

Basically, what I'm saying is that should the need arrive to install a tube roadside, the rim strip will not be the issue, it'll be the tire along with any extra mess from the sealant that will cause challenges with tube installation.