View Single Post
Old 05-17-21, 10:52 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Ataylor- I am the same. I have geeked out on hubs for a long long time. I started in the mountain biking world, and used a lot of them. After some years, Chris King and Hadley became my favorites. I tried Hopes, White Industries, DT Swiss, Industry Nines, and some of the lesser-know brands. DTs were solid and reliable but had much less engagement than Hadleys, Kings, and Industry Nine. I have had zero issues with Kings or Hadleys or for that matter, DTs. On the road, the engagement matters much less for me, or not at all for most. So DTs and Kings are it. I9s have a lot fo drag and are a bit annoyingly noisy. I don't know if Hadley does a road hub...probably not. So I ended up sticking with the two I use now. Kings can be blingy and DTs are understated. I have had some of both for over ten years with zero issues. That is my experience from around 2000 so I don't stray anymore. I have never built a super light wheelset since I weigh 175ish, or I would know more about the super light hubs. I sort of wish I did but the thought of a flexy wheelset is not appealing either. If I used super light hubs, it would make sense to use light rims too. With our fast descents topping 50-55 MPH and huge drop-offs usually on one side, I thought it would be pointless with too much downside. Anyway, hubs are the most fun to geek out over in the rosdbike world (in the MTB world, it is suspension and geometry) so have fun.
Thank you, brother. Not a fan of super bright anything really, love silence and not currently great at repairs and maintenance, so the DT's sound like they may fit the bill.

Originally Posted by robbyville
Perfectly normal from a tube installation perspective... Depending on the tire of course, The Conti GP5k's are easily the most annoying tires to get on and off using the wheels I have (Light Bicycle), although I haven't put in a tube with them I don't relish the idea. If memory serves, and it may not, the tires I was using when I had to put a tube in were the first version of the Schwalbe Pro One's TL Easy, they were like a normal tire to install the tube in, no muss. I think the other time it happened to me I was using one of the new Vittoria Corsa Super G's or something like that. The moment I received the tire I knew it wasn't going to last long it was so freaking light and thin (to be fair I knew this from the reviews going in), sure enough it barely lasted 600 miles before rupturing from a flying piece of debris. I installed a tube easily.

Basically, what I'm saying is that should the need arrive to install a tube roadside, the rim strip will not be the issue, it'll be the tire along with any extra mess from the sealant that will cause challenges with tube installation.
Got it. Thanks a lot for your detailed reply and your help. Really appreciate it.