Old 08-25-21, 05:17 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I use 32mm tubeful GP5000s that I run at 75 psi - I weigh 225 and ride on typical suburban roads with lots of crud.

I don't push tire mileage anymore - I'd rather avoid roadside flat repairs than get a few hundred more miles. On 3 rear tires I'm getting around 3,000 - 3,500 miles before the wear dimples nearly disappear.

I've never seen any benefit out of rotating front/back - the front lasts much longer but I don't even track it. I replace the front at same wear dimple point that I do in the rear.

I've had 3 flats in about 10K miles on them - all wire shards. Two of them (one in front, one in rear) were just slow leaks - didn't notice on ride, found out before next ride. One in the rear was a roadside repair.

The soft compound of the GP5000s does seem to quickly pick up nicks but not much gets through.

That is much better flat performance than I've seen on other tires I've used in the past but I'm also inspecting my tires now after each ride, removing any slivers that got in, etc. and not waiting until I see liner poking out before I replace!

The GP5000s are about the only tires I've used in years (I run Schwalbes on other bike) that I can put back on completely by hand - made that roadside repair much less of a struggle.

Right now 32mm GP5000s seem to be out of the supply chain - only available at very high list price.

Last edited by jpescatore; 08-25-21 at 05:23 AM.