View Single Post
Old 11-19-21, 04:09 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The "Overlap" horse has been pounded to jelly .....

As for number of gears---have any of you been either carrying a load, climbing a hill, or fighting a fierce wind--or any two or three of those at once---and wished for a gear a tiny bit lower than the one you were using after having tired the next step down---not in order but in ratio---and found it too big by the tiniest of margins?

I remember a day coming out of Colorado into Kansas where we had nonstop hills and a 20-25 mph headwind ... I would have loved a CVT or a 3x33 on that day -- quarter-tooth margins?

Anyway ... at some point this approaches the Rydabent Theorem--"if I don't need it it doesn't need to exist." Indyfabz likes that set-up, and that is all the justification he needs, and the rest of us are just audience members talking during the performance.
Yes.

From Dubois, Wyoming all the way to Canon City, Co, I fought a 30-50 mph headwind. When I am TT at 30 mph. When I am touring heavily loaded and there is a headwind, my full loaded touring bike still has half step gearing in the 40-80 inch range for just that reason.