Old 12-23-21, 11:35 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Is there actually a sewing machine thread? I'd love to show off the old Bernina, but I can't find the thread the OP mentions in this thread's title.

In any case, here is my watch.

My old dented and dinged Seiko 5. I used to have a Seiko quartz but the battery died and the replacement battery I bought wasn't any good, or leaked in it, or something, so I bought this for $25 on evilbay, figuring hey, no batteries. Band was too short, but I really prefer the metal band, so I bought the cheapest used metal band I could, to harvest replacement links, but it was gold so I had to polish the gold plating off on my scotch brite wheel.

It keeps time well enough to pass the timekeeping tests the COSC uses.

Was fixing a muffler and managed to spall the glass, so I put in a replacement glass from my old quartz, which was the same diameter (although twice as thick) and luckily I'd kept for parts. Since it's too thick, it sits a little proud of the bezel but nobody notices and maybe it's tougher. You can change the glass on these pretty easily with a C-clamp and some sockets.

The pin on the clasp for the band broke and I replaced it with a paperclip. It's not the standard pin diameter so I couldn't easily find a replacement that wasn't a zillion dollars.

I like the glass back. 21 jewels! A modern marvel, and currently my longest-lived wristwatch.

I would like to get a Raketa 24h with world-time bezel for traveling, but who knows if we will ever regularly travel internationally again, right?