Old 01-18-22, 08:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
On paved trails, I don't really think tire width matters as much as orthodoxy suggests it should within reason, of course.

There is 2 schools of thought with commuting.

One school is: Indestructible flat proof tires like Gatorskin Hardshells or Marathon Supreme, or any other number of similar tires that air or not the sidewalls are stiff enough, you *could* ride to work even if you were fortunate enough to come across something that could make 'em flat.

The other school is: Decent rolling tires with supple sidewalls set up tubeless.

In either school, the proper width/pressure is usually a width that allows compression about 15% of the tire height when loaded & is somewhere near the middle/two-thirds/three-fourths of the tires pressure rating.

I commute on tubeless
Compass, 559x58's@35psi,
Gravelking, 700x38@50psi &
Grand Prix 5000 TL, 700x25@85psi, 19 miles one way, mostly road 30% bike trail. The lower pressure of tubeless also mitigates any puncture risk that would motivate a person to go to school one. Then the self-sealing nature seals the deal for reliability.

Any of the above rolls nicer & is faster than the tubed indestructible Gatorskin Hardshells 700x23@110psi or even decent Panaracer Gravelking SK 559x52@35-40psi, tubed.

My general recommendation based on my own personal experience & needs for an all-round nominal tire setup is 700x28-38 tubeless, Preferably a high quality tire made by Panaracer, regardless of what actual brand has their name printed on the side...but I have no idea what you weigh, where you ride, how far you commute, what your bike will accommodate, or what your local hazards are.

The absolute most miserable combinations I have come across all involved Mr. stuffy style liners &/or/in addition to thorn-proof tubes. Second to that, big low quality tires at high pressures.

Last edited by base2; 01-18-22 at 08:50 PM.