View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 12:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by cherokeeronin
9 speed jn the back with 11-40/42 might be too much of a gap with the 34 smallest in the front
What do you mean by this? Fewer cogs means larger gaps between gears, but that's not really dependent on how large the small chainring is.

However for me, going for an 11 speed might be too much gears for me that I might not even use
I'm also not sure what you mean by this. Adding more intermediate gears just means you'll get finer steps within the range that you use.

The real question for me here is, if the said Quantum and Tiagra 4700, would be compatible to use with the Alivio RD.
No. In 2015, Shimano 10-speed road components lost compatibility with 8/9-speed MTB.

Originally Posted by cherokeeronin
Gearing ratios, I would like to switch to a 50-34T since I am opting for speed and around my area and my usual routes are flats. In the rear ideally an 11-40 or 11-42T, this would help me with the climbs in the Mountains nearby (I rarely go climbs but just in case if I have to, I would want to have that big sprocket in the rear just to be safe). Im currently using a 3x7 42-32-22 in the front and 14-34T

Keep in mind that the 11T sprocket versus your current 14T sprocket will give you a much higher top gear. 46T is only 9.5% higher than 42, but 46-11 is 39% higher than 42-14.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hard to make sense of all this but a 46-30 will be an an easier fit than a 50-34, chainwrap.
50-34 will need a longer chain than 46-30, but it's exactly the same in terms of chainwrap (16 teeth).

Also, suggest you avoid anything Alivio or the other A stuff. For a few $ more you can get an actual component.
Acera and Alivio lack damping, but for what they are, in my experience they're reasonably-constructed and work well. Definitely not in "component-shaped object" territory.