SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
So I bought aero bars back in November, and it has cut a nice chunk of time off my Strava segments. Today it cut 32 seconds off a 1.6 mile segment, compared to my previous PB.
I highly doubt that a 32 second reduction in time over a 1.6 mile segment is solely due to a new handlebar.

Originally Posted by bonsai171
The bars feel too far out, so i'm thinking about shortening my stem (currently a 110 mm). I have a 100 mm stem at home i could try, but suspect that might be too long still. How long of a stem should I run? Is there a rule of thumb to follow?
Did your prior handlebar also "feel too far out"? Which part of your new handlebar "feels too far out"? Just the hoods? For reference: Drop bar hand positions | BikeGremlin.

Perhaps the front of your new bar is rotated too far upward. Try to rotate the front of your new bar downward and move the STI levers higher and back up toward the top of the handlebar. Doing so decreases your reach to the hoods but maintains your reach to the tops.

The general rule of thumb is that the middle of the bar should block your view of the front wheel hub.