Old 12-16-23, 12:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,302 Times in 869 Posts
Not quite a "beta" level touring bike when it wears an original Sugino AT crankset at first thought, but some mild down-spec of the balance of the components perhaps makes it less than top-of-the-line?

I bought this Nishiki Seral from Goodwill as a back-up bike, and because it's crankset was worth far more than the a$k. I had already secured a Six-Ten as a replacement for my earlier ('77) Miyata Gran-Tour that I had been hammering off road for some years so needed to retire (I donated it).

The Seral handles difficult trail riding about as well as the Six-Ten, helping to keep my CX skills current year-round.
Like the Six-Ten, the frame geometry seems to lean toward the Sport-Touring end of the spectrum (the Six-Ten has 73-degree frame angles versus the 72-degree angles of the Two-Ten and the 1000). A Centurion Pro-Tour is yet more sprightly (subs for a road bike quite frankly, in a good way).

There was a period of a few years around 2006 when touring bikes flooded into our local thrift stores, with good examples selling for between $20 and $40.
The flood of road bikes had been in the years prior, as many baby-boomers moved up to my hilly foothills region from the bay area but obviously didn't take to riding their old bikes in such hilly terrain.

One can quickly gauge a bike's design intent by measuring how many fingers fit between the tire and the seat tube, more than two and it's a real touring bike (or it's a UO8/9/10), less than two fingers suggests sporting intentions, i.e. a road bike.

These "beta"-level and "sport-touring" bikes usually came with a rear rack, which I find greatly enhances their off-road prowess in terms of weight distribution, with climbing traction helped further by their modest (about two fingers) chainstay-length dimensions.

Last edited by dddd; 12-16-23 at 12:14 PM.