Old 04-01-24, 10:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 5,738 Times in 2,954 Posts
When riding on city streets, if possible, I try to stay away from curb where all the debris typically collects. This goes for bike lanes as well. Using Varia radar, I can ride more in the car lane where the vehicle tires tend to clean or sweep the debris. Without Varia, or a helmet mirror, this would be a PITA.

I also have been riding tubeless with good quality tires for three years and only been stopped once with a sidewall cut requiring a tube and tire boot. (Average annual mileage is 5,000) I did ride 3 miles home with a roofing nail in my rear tire which the sealant managed to take care of, only losing 5 psi. When home, I pulled the nail, plugged the tire and road it another 1,500 miles.

Also learn to sweep your tires (correctly!) with your hand - preferably gloved- if you have to ride through glass. But there is no substitute for riding away from the curb, proper tire inflation, being vigilant, having good puncture resistant tires (Like GP 5000s) and tire sweeping. All of the above have served me well.