View Single Post
Old 08-29-13, 01:41 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bike stolen from SoCal Metrolink

Yesterday,8/28/13, on Metrolink train 602 southbound someone stole a carbon Scattante w/Ultegra components off the bike car with a half dozen people (including the moron posting this) watching. Here is how it went down. I was talking to someone when I heard a noise, looked down to the other side of the car to see that a bike had fallen over. The guy who owned the bike was sitting next to it and went to pick it up when some other guy pulled the Scattante that was under it and walked right off the train. The guy I was talking to said "hey. I think that guy just stole that bike".

Here is what we pieced together. A$$wipe knocked over the first bike-a Cannondale Evo-to see if the owner was near by. When that bikes owner revealed himself, the dirtbag went for the bike under it. This was all timed to coincide with the train pulling into the station (Laguna Niguel).

One witness said the thief had boarded the train at Anaheim station and was asking him questions about his bike. He was also carrying a set of MTB handlebars he was trying to sell. The witness said the guy seemed shady, and it was this witness who noticed, too late, the bike being taken off the train as the doors closed.

Anyone who has ridden the trains knows the protocol is that once those doors close and the train starts rolling, they don't stop for anything short of hitting something. The thief obviously knew this too since he timed it to be off the train just as the doors closed.

I will post more details later after I get a chance to speak to the witness again to get a description of the thief, and get a better description of the bike from the victim.

Watch Craigslist list for Ultegra parts, as parting bikes seems to be this Q!@#%#$'s MO. He dropped the MTB bars were he grabbed the bike.

Last edited by CbadRider; 08-29-13 at 02:02 PM.