Old 12-18-12, 07:45 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
So I was reading the thread about having 8 months to prep for a race, and Shovel's comment about Wells Ave. got me thinking. I looked it up on the map, and sure enough, I lived not too far from Wells Ave. for several years, and I never knew there were races there. Of course, at that time, I didn't ride a bike. My chosen exercise was 12-ounce curls.

And Chappy, I converted the roll-over 401(k)s for two reasons. 1. I wanted to take advantage of the lower taxes in 2012. It seems like there is a good chance tax rates will be going up in 2013 or beyond. Plus, I like to think that my income will continue to grow pushing me into higher and higher tax brackets, so I would take an even bigger tax hit if I waited until retirement. And 2. My wife got a small inheritance this summer when her aunt passed away, so we had the money to pay the taxes now.

Finally, Saratoga, as for going with no sealant, I would not do it. I run tubeless on my mountain bike with sealant and ran a makeshift tubeless set up on my cross bike for a season, again with sealant. On the cross bike, I got way too many burps and just ditched the tubeless set up. I am pretty sure Zinn did a couple articles or Q&As on this, so you might want to look through the VeloNews archives.
Got it. I think i really ought to do Roth as i'm just starting, but i could use the decreaded burden right now. Maybe in a few years after i've saved enough for a down payment to a piece of real property.

---

As for sealants, anything that doesnt use natural latex. There's a comprehensive chart on slowtwitch. I use caffelatex (synthetic latex)